Friday, February 27, 2009

The Goal of Cube City

I recently had to write down my Cube City goals for the year, and I was at a loss. I stared blankly at a computer screen for days. Then I had to plop something--anything--down on paper because I had to go into a room with a bunch of managers and be forced to talk about goals and what to do with cube dwellers who "don't care" about their destiny.

All I could think about was the irony of it all. The leaders of Cube City don't care about me in the present day, let alone my destiny. And it's not that the cube dwellers "don't care" about their destiny. They just know how it is and that nothing is ever going to change, so why bother? Cube City is not set up for achievement of goals. We all know this. But we are supposed to go into some imaginary place in our minds and dream of being set up for success and what that might look like. I really don't have time or energy for the hypothetical.

It is what it is. Let's not pretend. We are going nowhere. FAST. That might not be the intended goal of Cube City, but it's the only goal that gets achieved here every time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Creating goals in an environment like this has a stale and moldy sense of irony to it.