Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Use Your Noggin

If you ever feel uninterested in paying attention when others are speaking in Cube City, use your noggin.

You've done it. I've done it. We've all done it. It's a survival strategy for corporate boredom. It's the head nod.

I love observing people in Cube City during speeches and meetings. I wonder what they're thinking when I know I'm bored out of my ever-lovin' mind. I see people nodding their heads like they're listening intently to someone who's undoubtedly boring. When the speaker unexpectedly directs a question at the listener, who is pretending to listen, you can tell that the listener is caught in the lie of a head nod.

I think it's both courteous and disrespectful to feign interest in someone or something with a head nod. I realize that some people are actually interested in boring speakers, and that's fine. To each their own. I say you need to do whatever it takes to stay awake in Cube City to combat boredom. Use your noggin and you'll be just fine.

No comments: