Tuesday, January 12, 2010

And the Award Goes to...

We recently had an embarrassing awards luncheon in Cube City. The leaders of various projects said a few embarrassing words about everyone on the team and then handed out certificates that included those embarrassing words.

Some of the awards were really random. I was recognized for a brand I barely touched and completely unrecognized for a brand that I contributed to on a regular basis. The person who said a few embarrassing words about me described me as "laid back." The way she said it sounded like a bad thing. She went on to say something like, "Don't let that laid-back attitude fool you. Scissor Girl delivers the goods to the client every time!"

Wuh? I thought being laid back was a good thing? Not that I'm good at being laid back (hardly), but apparently somebody was worried about me getting the work done. I guess I didn't seem worried enough? Weird.

I find awards to be odd and unnecessary. I'm sure they're a good thing, but I guess I'm too busy delivering the goods to mull it over. Maybe I'm just not used to being recognized for my work, especially the work I don't work on! I now accept this award for being laid back on brands I don't work on. Thank you very much.

1 comment:

Trixter said...

I agree -- that was WAYYY awkward for all of us. I was congratulated on the way I'm apparently able to pull stuff out of my a%& during client calls. I think they couldn't decide whether to make it funny or serious and then realized that they didn't know any of us well enough to make it either.

Sigh. Maybe they should have enlisted a writer to help with the ... hm... writing?