Monday, January 4, 2010

A New Decade

It's time to start thinking positively again about Cube City -- until the novelty of the New Year wears off, anyway.

Now that a new decade has commenced, I think back to the millennium years and where I worked throughout them.

2000-2005: A small but inspiring Cube City for the first three years; a disaster under new management (I use the term "management" loosely here) from 2003 onward

2005-2007: A very big, established, and boring Cube City that did not challenge me at all but was nonetheless kind to me; in my disgustingly large amount of downtime, I was able to hone my personal Web surfing skills -- so much that I eventually ran out of ideas on what to Google

2007-present: An "anything goes" type of Cube City where, generally speaking, I'm happy even though I bitch a whole lot and have to frequently beat fires out of my hair

So where have you been the past 10 years? Welcome to a new decade of working, cube dwellers!

1 comment:

Raina said...

Oh, fun idea!

Hmmm...

2000-mid-2001: The tail end of a startup that fell victim to the bursting of the tech bubble. The sad part was that I worked with fantastic people and the work was hard but *inspired* and we all felt the energy of the startup life. Rest in peace, Omnispace.

2001-2002: A small, totally unknown company that provided a hotel booking engine for thousands of small affiliate sites. It was unsexy and unfun, but hey, it was a job when so many of us techy types didn't have jobs!

2002-2006: That unknown little hotel booking company got brave, and launched itself as a new brand and a shiny new website called Hotels.com. The beginning was fun and exciting again, building and launching a Big New Thing. THEN there were corporate acquisitions, "management" changes, mergers, re-orgs, spin-offs, etc. You know the drill.

2006-present: a different kind of Cube City than I've been used to in the past. Not exactly stable, but then again none of the Cube Cities on this list have been stable. Sometimes there are exciting Big New Things, sometimes not. Sometimes I work too hard, sometimes I surf the web too much. Sometimes I'm grateful I have a job, sometimes I feel like I'm part of what's so wrong with the internet.

What will this decade hold? I can't imagine we'll ever see the kind of exciting world of startups that we did before, but we can daydream. I'd love that.