Thursday, November 12, 2009

Surviving the Sickness

I'm supposed to check in periodically with a guy in another branch of Cube City. I didn't like him until I tried really hard to understand him. And now, I just think he's fun to watch...from afar.

This guy is all about drama. He's stressed out at all times. It's like he has a drama virus and spreads it to all of his direct reports. I think they like him and find his drama contagious, but surely they know he's not well. If he could just learn to wash his hands of certain things, he'd help prevent infection across cubicles.

Let's use Janelle (not her real name) as an example.

Janelle: This is too much work for one person. I can't handle this workload and wanted to let you know that I don't think I'll make a lot of these deadlines.

Drama Guy: OMG! I think we just broke Janelle!

How does Drama Guy's response solve problems? I mean, c'mon. Why be a terrorist about it? Janelle was just being responsible by speaking up. She was letting him know that she needed help meeting deadlines. But from Drama Guy's response, you'd think Janelle had jumped out of a window and broken her back or something. He could've reassured her that she is only one person and therefore can only do the work of one person (well, really, three people around here). Heck, he could've taken a cue from Golden Boy and yelled, "THIS IS WHAT THE COMPANY HAS GIVEN US!" Like Golden Boy, he could've just blamed it all on staffing issues. But, no, he had to do it his way.

I'll be checking in with Drama Guy soon. I think I'll keep some antibacterial hand gel nearby. His attitude can be very contagious, and I'd rather cure illnesses than create them.

1 comment:

Michelle Medley said...

This is a funny post on a not so funny subject. Why do some people have the virus and others don't? Why are some carriers and others aren't? Maybe Drama Guy does drama because he needs the adrenaline to keep him going - and drama certainly stirs up adrenaline, fight or flight.

Keep yer mask up, is my medical advice.