Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A Golden Meltdown

The other day, a guy in Cube City came to me and said, "I want to get off this brand. I'm tired of working with certain people on the team, and I'm going to throw myself into my other work."

I sat there in an early-morning daze as my fellow cube dweller ranted. I thought about happy things, like caffeine, new car smell, and puppies.

My cube dweller continued ranting. He said, "I wish I could work with Golden Boy. I've heard great things about Golden Boy." (Note: Golden Boy's name has been changed to preserve his glorified reputation.) My cube dweller proceeded to tell me that he'd never get to work with Golden Boy and stated all the reasons why their career paths would never cross.

I let my ranting cube dweller believe that Golden Boy was all that. I wasn't going to tell him that I had scientific proof of Golden Boy's psychotic tendencies. My only interaction with Golden Boy was when he had a meltdown about not meeting an unrealistic deadline. I remember Golden Boy throwing a fit about not having enough people to get the work done and wailing, with clenched fists waving in the air, "THIS IS WHAT THE COMPANY HAS GIVEN US!"

Whenever I cross paths with Golden Boy in the hallowed halls of Cube City, it is his meltdown that I remember. I hear him crying, "THIS IS WHAT THE COMPANY HAS GIVEN US!" The memories I have of this boy are certainly golden.

1 comment:

Michelle Medley said...

Somebody famous once said, "They won't remember what you said, or what you did, but how you made them feel." Golden Boy is proof of that - because you'll always remember the meltdown.

Sounds like the Cube Dweller is living out the old Fred Astaire quip, "always straying to greener pastures and finding spinach."