Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Wordsmith

Once upon a time, I was the only writer in Cube City. I wrote manuals, marketing materials, ads, websites -- even sales letters for our salespeople who didn't know how to put a sentence together. If it had to do with the written word, it had to do with me.

During my time there, I somehow became known as the resident expert in Microsoft Word. If people couldn't get their margins right, they'd call me. If they couldn't figure out how to format bulleted lists correctly, I was their source. If they royally messed up their documents while trying to add columns to their tables, they'd call me for help.

I'm not sure how people confuse experts of the written word with experts of Microsoft Word, but I know it happens. You writers out there know what I'm talking about. All we can do is continue to perform our magic tricks for our captive audiences. I know I'll keep writing whatever my fellow cube dwellers need as well as solving their word-processing software problems. It just perpetuates that ever-valuable optical illusion of worth in Cube City. Word.

No comments: