Friday, June 12, 2009

Freelancing the Stone

Occasionally, I kiss my free time from Cube City goodbye in exchange for some quick freelancing gigs. I've done only a handful of said gigs in the past year, but I always learn something from them -- like, how much I hate giving up my free time to work for people I don't know.

To say that you're "freelancing" sounds so cool, so urban, so glamorous. But it's a cold place, the freelancing world. I get stone-faced, just thinking about it. Usually, I'll meet the person in charge of the gig once or twice, and then the rest of our communications will be through email. It feels foreign. There's little human interaction, and the project leader really doesn't want to be bothered. You're just an extra in that person's overloaded cast of characters. You are completely and utterly alone. You're reminded of your purpose: Do the job. Get your check. Get out of my face.

Sure, freelancing gigs help you expand your mind and portfolio beyond your everyday workload. But they're really not worth the trouble. Who knew that the daily Cube City grind is actually a good thing?

1 comment:

Michelle Medley said...

Yah all true but if not for blessed freelancing, I wouldn't have met Stan Richards or raised my mike and asked Danica Patrick - racecar driver DP - a question at Texas Motor Speedway.

Some days it takes you on journeys you never saw coming. And that's a good thing.
Keep writing Scissor Girl. My day is never started unless I read you.