Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Cool Job, Revisited

I sometimes forget that I have a cool job in Cube City. Sure, it's not literally a cool job, but I'll take what I can get...and today, I'm cool with it.

Now and then, I get reminders from friends that my job is cool -- compared to theirs, anyway. An accountant friend will tell me about updating a spreadsheet or haggling for better office supplies, and I'll think, "Wow, what an uncool job." I almost feel bad telling him about what I get to do in a day:
  • Attend a brainstorm
  • Review a Flash movie for a website
  • Edit video footage to create a story
  • Catch up with interesting creative people
  • Laugh at the cool slogans on people's shirts since there are really no rules here
  • Pet dogs and drink alcohol at my desk if so inclined

I've had a lot of uncool jobs with no variety and no opportunities to learn or do anything new. It feels good to appreciate my cool job today.

No comments: