Thursday, June 18, 2009

Testing the Waters

Earlier this week, I invited a fellow resident of Cube City to lunch because I know he's having a rough time.

He's never talked about what he's going through, and I've never asked. I just know something's going on, and that's enough for me.

I hesitate to dip my toe into Cube City waters because I don't need to know what's afoot. Sure, I want to help, but I don't always know how. So I figured I would just invite him to lunch with no agenda. I didn't expect him to reveal anything shocking to me, like they do in the movies, and he didn't. It was nice just knowing that we got out of our cubicles for an hour and got our minds off the things that were bothering us. And on our return from lunch, I can't tell you how much it meant to me when he said we should do this more often.

I need to dip my toe in more often, even when the water is cold. Despite the dysfunction of Cube City, there are a lot of great people here with interesting stories to tell...and even more interesting stories not to tell.

1 comment:

Marg Sister said...

You are absolutely, positively right. Lots of great people at work with great hearts and interesting stories...and sometimes it's just fine not to know the details. The best times are when you get to hang out just for the sake of hanging out. I've always hated those lunches when you know there's an agenda...and always tried to avoid them. May you have many more "just because" times with the biscuits (vs. the magicians) at work. Miss you.