Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Falling Star

While we're on the topic of falling stars, it appears that someone I know in Cube City has been demoted. If so, it's certainly been a quiet demotion. It might not even be a demotion, but perhaps just a lame title change casualty from another messy reorg. (I totally suspect it's a big fat demotion, people.) All I know is that this person's email signature was incredibly long a week ago and is now incredibly short.

I find it interesting that some announcements are hush-hush while others are broadcast through company-wide emails. It's like the people who are perceived as stars are a protected class, and everybody else is just dangling in the atmosphere. I once worked in a Cube City with a very lame and unqualified person who got promoted because she went drinking...among other things...with the lonesome company leader. I remember how humiliating it was to have people come up to me after her promotion was broadcast through a company-wide email. They would make it all worse by saying things like, "OMG, I can't believe she's your boss! She's so stupid! How did she get that job? She has no skills! She has the creativity of a table! I'll bet you are looking for another job!"

I'm not a big fan of the stars in Cube City, and I'm certainly not a star fucker, but I have to say that all plasma should be created equal.

1 comment:

Michelle Medley said...

Telling some news via email but not other news is the old "I know something you don't know" game - and those who have the information can exert power over those who don't just by deciding what to share and what to keep.

It's bad policy - it's mean-spirited. shameful schoolyard behavior.