Friday, September 10, 2010

A Little SAD Lunch Commentary

Summer is almost over, which means Scissor Girl needs to get serious, put down the pizza, and lose a few pounds before seasonal affective disorder (SAD) takes over.

Since most meetings in Cube City occur over the lunch hour, you're pretty much screwed if you didn't pack a lunch. But I lucked out today, and a 90-minute meeting ended almost 90 minutes early. That rarely happens! Who has ever heard of an 11-minute meeting? This meeting miracle won't last or recur, I'm sure, so I'll just bask in it today.

Here's where Subway, the sandwich chain, comes in. I hate Subway. It's close to my office, it reeks of bread (a smell that actually repulses me, but only in a Subway), and I feel like it's a healthier option than most fast-food restaurants. Today, I really wanted crap food, but I forced myself to go to Subway.

When I arrived at Subway, I parked next to a car with the windows rolled down. The driver was reclining in the driver's seat, and he appeared to be napping. I don't know why or how you'd nap next to a noisy highway in 90-degree weather, but I assumed he was a sad cube dweller who needed a brief escape from reality/consciousness. Or maybe the smelly bread from Subway made him pass out. Too many carbs are never a good thing. I guess I'll never know the real story with that guy, but the truth is usually a lot more depressing than my imagination -- hard to believe, I know.

As I pulled out of the Subway parking lot with my healthy sandwich in hand, I couldn't help but wonder just how healthy Subway really is. I mean, food service is a very scary industry, and all the sandwich toppings at Subway are lined up in a row. Who knows how long they've been sitting out? Who knows how many flies have landed on the food? A potluck at work, laced with inevitable botulism, might be safer than Subway.

I think I'll go back to Subway, park my car there, roll the windows down, and take a nap. This stinky bread is making me pre-SAD.

No comments: