Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Listen Up: I Have a Voice

I was recently invited to a meeting with a guy who has worked in Cube City since the beginning of time. He just took a new position in the company and wanted my feedback on what he could do to help the people in my discipline.

Huh?

It took me quite a while to grasp that he actually cared about my opinions and genuinely wanted to work with me to solve some long-standing problems. Who does that anymore? People usually aren't so professional or courteous about sharing their ideas and seeing what you can add before they move forward. Instead, they make up their own rules with deaf ears as they go along, consulting nobody in the process. We all know how that misinformed approach ends -- badly.

It's good to know that ethics aren't completely dead in Cube City and that there are still some cube dwellers out there who believe in building collaborative relationships.

You heard me.

No comments: