Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Programmer

Once upon a time, in a cubicle far far away, I landed my first job. I started in Cube City as a technical writer. Luckily I didn't work for a company that beat you down with "Junior" or "Senior" before your title -- the first showing your inexperience, the second showing that you might have money but are too old to know how to spend it on cool stuff. You can't win in Cube City.

At my first job, I worked very closely with Lee, an introverted but wickedly funny and smart programmer. Lee had a penchant for technical writers. Whenever Tina the Tech Writer made an appearance in Dilbert, Lee would print that comic strip and hand it to me that day. It's like he wanted me to smile, or kill myself, or smile while killing myself.

My days as a technical writer at that company came and went, as most job titles and jobs (and even companies!) do. I wonder where Lee is today and if he's still giving technical writers a hard time and/or a little taste of Tina. He was a good guy -- strange, like a stereotypical programmer, but harmless and entertaining in his own right. If you're out there, Lee, this blog's for you.

No comments: