Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Fire Drill

Last week in Cube City, we had a piercing fire drill. When I got outside, my first thought was to scan the crowd for my direct reports. We are ridiculously short staffed as it is, and I'll be damned if we lose anybody in a fire.

When it was clear that all of my direct reports had made it out alive, I started looking around. There were some really organized companies (read: not ours) taking roll call. They had group leaders who were wearing orange reflective vests and accounting for everyone's personal safety. They looked responsible. They looked like they cared about each other.

I used to work in a very large and established Cube City like that. It was organized mayhem. It makes you realize that you sometimes work for people who show that they care in ways you wouldn't ordinarily notice or appreciate -- like how they treat you during fire drills. I remember standing outside Cube City last week, listening to the piercing fire alarm and thinking, "This is nothing like my last job. Nobody would ever know or care if I didn't make it out. They'd just find another resource and move on. They can't even pretend that they care enough to account for us by name and face."

Somebody needs to light a fire under them, don't you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I work for one of those companies where we wear the orange vests and make a list of who made it out into the designated meeting area (DMA). But don't kid yourself, while I may take the mandatory roll call for my staff, there are members of my team that I really don't care if they make it out alive or not.

Anonymous said...

I was in a meeting with my boss during that firedrill. Of course, she did everything she could to try to keep up there and work. If the two other people were not in the room, we probably would have stayed put.

Burn, Baby, Burn!