Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Socialization Needed

On Sunday morning, I took my new cube mate to her first private obedience lesson. The instructor was very upbeat and made the experience a lot of fun for us.

Though my new cube mate is very upbeat and fun in her own right, she is supposed to receive as much socialization over the next three weeks as possible. She needs to go to a new place every day and meet new people every day. After 12 weeks of age, socialization opportunities for puppies are gone.

This got me thinking about cube dwellers and their socialization skills. I wonder how many of them were stuck in their cribs by themselves for too long, only to move from cribs to cubes...especially the Sniffer. Perhaps if someone had waved cookies in front of their faces, praised them for things they had done correctly, and taken them out to meet and interact with a variety of kids, they'd have grown up to play better with the other children in Cube City.

I try to be tolerant of the neglected strays in Cube City, but it's tough. I get tired of trying to teach old dogs new tricks.

No comments: