Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Goodbye Email

You know how some cube dwellers can't wait to tell you that they've found another job...but when the time comes for them to say goodbye, they get all choked up and send mushy goodbye emails?

They just go on and on and on and on...
  • "You've been the greatest team to work with. I will miss you all so much."
  • "I take nothing but good memories with me as I walk out the door today."
  • "I can't imagine how I'll ever have it this good again."
  • "You all have made such a huge difference in my life. I will never be the same."
  • "I wish I didn't have to go, but I have an opportunity that I simply cannot pass up."

It's just too much.

Of course, if you know the person really well and understand why they're leaving Cube City for greener pastures, you're probably going to appreciate the sentiments. But I tend to receive these special goodbye emails from people I've never met who can't even take the time to choose their special recipients wisely.

If done correctly, a goodbye email can be very special, sincere, and touching. But the things you hear over and over and over and over make you wonder if some people really mean what they say. I mean, these are people who are itching to leave Cube City, yet they turn around and tell you how wonderful things have been and how they don't want to leave?

I'll stop complaining now. You are probably tired of hearing me go on and on and on and on. But before I go, I just want you to know that I don't want to leave. However, I have an incredible opportunity to accomplish something outside of Blogger RIGHT NOW and cannot pass it up. So it is with fondness, special memories, and my deepest appreciation that I say thanks for the forum today and always. I love you all more than words can say.

Fare thee well,

Scissor Girl

3 comments:

Michelle Medley said...

Wait, what do you mean by this post? You're not closing up scissors, are you?

Scissor Girl said...

Nope. You are doomed to continue reading my corporate doom every day.

Anonymous said...

One of my employees resigned recently. He gave several of us different stories about why he was leaving, and where he was going. Then he sent an email, only to a few people, and it said something like "I want you to know the TRUTH about why I am leaving!". Yes, he included all caps and the exclamation mark. Some people are just destined to create drama wherever they go.