Monday, September 8, 2008

My Post-Cubicle Coma

I spent the majority of my Saturday on the sofa in a post-cubicle coma. I watched really bad TV and stumbled upon the pilot of a show called We Mean Business. I liked the concept of the show, which is about analyzing fledgling small businesses and taking action to turn them around. But the pilot episode focused on Berry Elegance, a poorly managed and decorated land of chocolate-covered strawberry decadence.

Chocolate-covered strawberries can change how you look at fruit, but they don't quite change the world. They don't cure cancer or prevent the extinction of polar bears. They don't contribute to world peace or solve the world hunger crisis. They won't get you out of debt, and they won't be the next fad diet that helps you lose 40 pounds in three weeks. Only the owners of Berry Elegance are going to be devastated if their business fails. So I felt that the show fell flat in the business selection process.

The show did focus on the real pressures of being an entrepreneur, from financial struggles to lack of personal time to do lame things like watch really bad TV shows. It was a berry good reminder of why I work in a cubicle in Cube City.

No comments: