Thursday, September 18, 2008

Office Surplus

I'm obviously stuck on empty echoes in Cube City this week, but really...are you surprised?

I used to work in a Cube City that endured the whole drill of growing too fast, having massive layoffs, subleasing the office, and trying to grow again. (That last part didn't really happen. It was just a pipe dream. Note the emphasis on trying.)

The financial officer was actually a pretty savvy guy. He put a leash on the CEO's wallet, and there was no more lavish spending. The financial officer even scrutinized the empty echoes and decided that a surplus sale was in order. He gathered a collection of expensive and slightly used office chairs, file cabinets, and desks. He assigned prices to all items. Then he moved them into a room that we'd be subleasing to another Cube City the following week. It was in that room that the surplus sale took place. It was mayhem. The door opened and the cube dwellers flocked into the bargain bin to grab the nicest items they could find. I walked away with a really nice office chair for my house at a fraction of its retail cost.

I don't know how much the surplus sale did to help the company stay afloat. I figured the whole situation was a big red flag. So I went job shopping and found a new job to match my new chair.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ah yes, both my husband and I went through the "sale" days. We got some great chairs and a couple of nice filing cabinets.

We also raided the "marketing cabinet" and relieved them of the surplus schwag bearing pathetically obsolete logos.