Monday, May 4, 2009

The Accused

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be working in Cube City with someone who ends up in jail, accused of first-degree murder?

Such a thing hasn't happened to me in quite this way, but I got a really strange "close encounter" email last Friday morning that threw me for a loop.

The email was from a dog breeder's husband. The husband was writing on her behalf, via her email address, as she was in jail awaiting a bond hearing. She was accused of murdering her parents. I had exchanged just a few emails with this woman when searching for my new cube mate and had realized pretty quickly that I wouldn't be going with her. She seemed perfectly fine and had reputable people on her side, but she was new to breeding. I really didn't want to take my chances with somebody who had been in the business for two years versus 30 years. I politely and gently let her know that I had chosen another kennel, and I never heard from her again.

Until now. Well, sort of. Through the husband ghost writer.

The email was sad -- a desperate and highly emotional plea sent out to random strangers like me, asking for letters to be written to the judge on her behalf. I was asked to write to this judge to let him know that she's not a flight risk or a threat to anyone, and that she should be able to get a reasonable bond so that she can spend the next two years at home while she awaits her murder trial. I was asked to tell the judge how I knew her and to vouch for her character.

Naturally, I googled her and found a media frenzy of articles about the compelling evidence stacked against her. It doesn't look good for her. She looks downright guilty, and it's an absolute shame. It makes me wonder how her cube dweller friends responded to the news. Did they write letters on her behalf? Did anyone, in Cube City or elsewhere, try to help bail her out?

It makes you realize that you don't know what's going on in a person's head or personal life at any given time. The person sitting next to me in Cube City could be capable of things I never thought possible. It's a scary and complicated world out there, and we all find ourselves accused of things -- no matter how big or small. I'm sure the truth will come out with her story eventually, whatever it is. I'm sorry I can't help her. I really don't know her, and this sort of request is just way over my head and comfort level. Doing nothing is right in this case, but it still makes me feel guilty inside.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What strange and uncomfortable circumstances. You just never know.

Michelle Medley said...

Some news we wish just wouldn't find us - right?

This is something you'd rather not know - or is it better to know?

Good thing your trust meter was fully functioning. You can almost believe murder of a dog, but PARENTS?