Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Opportunity for Change

Changes are coming my way in Cube City. They could be good. They could be bad. I really have no way of knowing.

My boss dropped by to tell me of her visit to our other offices last week and that we will once again come back together. Decentralization isn't going to work with our current plans.

I'm fine with coming back together, though long-distance communications certainly have their challenges. The question is how we're going to reunite. Who's going to be in charge of what? What does this mean for me? What does this mean for the people who report to me?

It makes me think of opportunities and decisions, and who's behind my fate. I was told when I first started working here that my boss's imminent departure meant a huge promotion for me. But all I got was more responsibility -- no title change, no money to go with the responsibility, no steady boss in my corner.

I now have a steady boss, and I think she's in my corner, but I don't want to get my hopes up about anything. People tell you about "opportunities," and then you naturally get excited before anything really happens. Then nothing happens...and you beat yourself up for ever having a shred of optimism...or ever believing that it's finally your time to get what's yours.

I know there are people who report to me with similar feelings. They probably wonder what I'm doing to fight for them. I see people in Cube City who get promoted quickly, sometimes unjustly. I see other people who sit in the same job title with lots of talent and nowhere to take it. I see other talented people who, for inexplicable reasons, are thanked for their service and shown the door.

I guess all I can do right now is recognize that there is an opportunity for change. I don't know what the change is or how it is going to affect me or the people around me. I just know that change is coming.

1 comment:

Michelle Medley said...

Maybe this change will be a good thing. It's awfully difficult to espouse the importance of sustainable relationships externally when the company doesn't do it internally.

It's a good sign that your boss gave you a head's up. Until otherwise proven, I'd go with the "this could be good" theory.