Friday, September 25, 2009

The 30-Minute Answer

How much time should elapse between a question and an answer in Cube City? A few days ago, I sat down with a prospective candidate who would be in another office and probably wouldn't even be someone I'd have any contact with at all. So I'm really not sure why I was told to talk to her. And when I say "talk to her," I mean "listen to her."

OMG. The woman could talk. I wondered if she was nervous or just jacked up from being in Cube City for an all-day interview. It was hard to ask questions because she could not seem to figure out how to wrap up her answers. I found our 30 minutes together to be a bit exhausting.

At the end of our visit, she took a breath and asked, "Do you have any other questions for me?" I wanted to point out that I had asked one question 30 minutes previously and had been listening to her answer ever since, but I refrained and got the hell out of there. That's what I'm talking about.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That was the first thing I said to the Boss after my "interview" with her! Wow, that woman can talk! Apparently that's the most significant impression she has made on almost everyone. It must be exhausting.

Trixter said...

Please tell me we're not going to hire this person! Especially if it's someone I'll have to work with. I already have far too many meetings where I can't get a word in!