Monday, September 14, 2009

Dodgeboss

There's an old game in Cube City with a new name: Dodgeboss. No, you don't get to hurl bosses through the air in hopes of knocking your fellow cube dwellers down (though that is a spectacular concept, indeed).

No, it's about avoiding your boss at all costs. Dodge the boss. I don't make a habit of dodging my boss, but I get a weird feeling when I see my boss coming into, or going out of, Cube City. I've had a number of bosses who care way too much about where you are and what you're doing every moment of every day. I guess I've accumulated baggage from most, if not all, of my other Cube Cities.

I saw my boss in the parking garage the other day. I was leaving when all was fair game, as office hours were officially over. However, my instincts took over and I started playing Dodgeboss. I exited one door while my boss entered another. I found myself wondering if she'd turn around and see me on my way to having a life. So I ducked behind a cement pillar and then walked behind a tall line of trucks, peeking between cars to assess my boss's whereabouts. Once she entered the door and it closed behind her, I slunk over to my car and got in. I was safe. I had won a game of Dodgeboss.

It's crazy, the games we play in Cube City. I'm just glad I was able to get the hell out of dodge that day.

1 comment:

Michelle Medley said...

I believe Dodgeboss is represented well in the movie "Office Space" as the main character, Peter, attempts to escape "Lumbergh" through every means possible.

Wonder if your boss also plays Dodgeboss with hers???