Monday, September 28, 2009

Would You Like Some Cheese With Your Whine?

Note to cube dwellers: Your boss doesn't care and doesn't want to hear about it, so shut your pie hole.

The one thing that bothers me about being a boss is when people act like spoiled brats. It's amazing how direct reports in Cube City will whine when you lean in and pretend like you're listening to them.

I'll listen to someone who has a good point and is clearly being taken advantage of. I also think I'm pretty good at protecting the people who report to me when necessary. But when somebody has to travel once or twice a year, or occasionally has to work nights and/or weekends, I don't want to hear about it. We all do it. None of us like it. The difference is that some of us know when to shut our pie hole about it.

Maybe it's a generation gap, but I can't believe how some younger people in Cube City just don't seem to know how to suck it up now and then. To me, if something is the exception rather than the rule, you suck it up. But I hear about EVERY little thing...

"I just wanted you to know that I have to work tonight. I'm not happy about it."

"It looks like I'll be working this weekend. I'm not happy about having to spend my free time working. I thought you should know."

"I've been told that I have to do an overnight business trip next month. I guess that means I have to spend the night in a hotel? I'm not looking forward to being away from my family for a night."

Seriously? Srsly. Suck. It. Up. What do you really expect me to say or do about it?

I would never dream of informing my boss that I have to work tonight; I'd just suck it up and do it! Maybe that makes me a sucker, but I think it's cheesy to whine when you've got it pretty good.

Damn, I'm old.

1 comment:

Trixter said...

I so do NOT miss managing people. :) I actually feel guilty about whining to my boss, because she works twice as hard as I do. As is the case with you and your direct reports, I suspect. But like you said, I think it's a generational thing.