Thursday, August 14, 2008

I Go With My Gut

Contrary to common sense, I’m not interviewing for jobs right now. The vivid memories of some job interviews haunt me into a rare world of blinded contentedness in Cube City.

I once interviewed for a job that was clearly not a good fit. For one thing, the job description sounded much more engaging in writing than in the interview. In fact, the job sounded entirely different in the interview. The interviewer didn’t even seem to notice, upon being quizzed, that there was such a discrepancy between the two. I don’t even want to begin entertaining how such a thing is possible.

The good news was that I didn’t have to endure a bullshit Human Resources screening. The bad news was that the oblivious interviewer would be my manager if we mutually agreed to the situation.

I recall having a less-than-stimulating conversation with the interviewer and how I spent a lot more time interviewing her than being interviewed. She told me about her farm, her horses, and her 1.34-hour commute each way. When I asked her how she selected candidates, she squinted and nodded as she replied, “I usually go with my gut.”

I found Guts to be very difficult to read, but not in an intriguing way. I even questioned to myself if she had a gut. When I finished interviewing Guts, I thanked her and lied about my continued interest in the position. I think she was interested in me, but I really couldn’t tell. I had no intention of taking the job, even if her gut led her to offer it to me, but I didn’t want to close any doors right away.

Well, that feeling was fleeting, and I actually sent a rejection thank-you letter to Guts later that day. I realized that I wasn’t as desperate for a new job as I’d thought. It’s interesting how a really bad interview can make you feel grateful for your present misery in Cube City. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut.

No comments: