Friday, August 22, 2008

Supply Room Findings

It's amazing what you can find in the Cube City supply room. I often wonder who orders supplies and what direction, if any, they receive before choosing items and brands.

At my current gig, I've found all sorts of treasures, including boxes of tissues (those were the good ol' days) and feminine products. But the best finding so far has been a pair of scissors. You know that's what Scissor Girl works for most, and a good pair of scissors is hard to find. I recently visited the supply room for something specific and got distracted by a shipment of brand-new solar calculators...but they were sort of big and clunky. They were downright ugly, really. I wouldn't want to display one on my desk, let alone throw it into my Bye Box. I wonder if that sort of thing is a strategic move on the supply orderer's part? When thumbing through the office supply catalogs, I wonder if the orderers say to themselves, "Ooooh, what an ugly calculator. This is the brand I'll order for the office so that nobody will want to take them home."

If you've ever been in charge of ordering cheap crappy ballpoint pens, scissors, calculators, or other office goodies, please supply me with the method to the selection madness. I need to know how you calculate such decisions.

No comments: