Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Retirement Party

I used to work for an established company in Cube City.

It was one of those companies that everybody has heard of.

It was one of those companies where people go to work and never think of leaving. The benefits are that good. So they work there until they reach 30 years of employment or die, whichever comes first.

It was one of those companies that sucked the life right out of you. You might as well have been dead. To work there meant you had given up on achievement, learning, or being interested in anything at any time.

But if you did time for 30 years, you'd get a retirement party.

The company announced retirement parties through larger-than-life poster board signs outside the cafeteria and other common areas, complete with the retiree's hideous ID badge photo. The company was so large that a week never went by without at least one retirement party announcement. I attended only one retirement party in my two years at that company, and I attended only because I worked directly with the retiree.

It seemed a sad affair:
  • Bad catered food
  • Family members dressed to the nines
  • Floral arrangements
  • More photographic memories affixed to more poster board
  • Handshakes
  • Forced conversation

It really did seem more like a memorial service than a celebration.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My favorite part is when they bring their relatives to the retirement events. No thanks. I'd pay money just for my relatives to never find out what it's like in Cube City for me.