Tuesday, October 14, 2008

My Paper Boss

I used to work for a guy in Cube City who showed up on the org chart and nowhere else. He became otherwise known as my paper boss.

I remember the day I received word that I would start reporting to him. He showed me where he'd penciled me in on his org chart -- which bore a striking resemblance to an orphan document -- and said, "I just hope you don't see this reporting structure as fake, and I want you to come to me at any time for anything."

Right then and there, I knew what he meant:

1. The reporting structure was completely and utterly fake.
2. He would never be there for me at any time for anything.

I have to say that it's really nice to have a paper boss on a day-to-day basis, especially when that person really doesn't understand what you do and really doesn't serve a purpose in growing you professionally.

But it's really bad to have a paper boss on the day of your performance review because that person will sit there helplessly (if showing up at all) and say, as my paper boss said to me, "I have no idea what you do."

I like a boss who looks good on paper, but I also like a number on my paycheck that looks good on paper. I guess we can't have it all.

No comments: