Monday, October 13, 2008

The Performance Feedback Meeting

I recently attended a mandatory performance feedback meeting in Cube City. Somebody's manager wanted to get a bunch of us in a room together to discuss complaints about one person's performance on the job.

On the inside, I was thrilled because I didn't really like this person and resented having to pick up the slack. Whenever I worked with this person, I felt an overwhelming sense of doom and dread. I just hated life when I knew that I had to work with this fucking idiot.

On the outside, I felt sorry for this person because Cube City is a very unforgiving place. We're all a bunch of pack animals, and getting us together to discuss one person is about as effective as throwing a steak in the middle of a group of starving cannibals and seeing what happens.

It never feels good to be responsible for somebody's livelihood, but it never feels good to try to save somebody who doesn't deserve saving either. Nobody wins in this game, but we all have to keep playing. All we can do is hope that we're always on the home team.

No comments: