Thursday, October 16, 2008

Worst Job Ever

I once worked in a huge Cube City that had its own cafeteria and lots of bored employees who spent their lunch hours chatting about the weak coffee and dirty flatware.

One day, we all sat around and talked about the worst jobs we'd ever had. The guy who brewed the Grade D plastic bag of ground taco meat at a popular fast food joint won the award for worst job ever. The way he discussed smelling like ground taco meat at all times was truly disgusting and award worthy.

What's your worst job ever? Please note: Your current job doesn't count. That's just way too easy.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Back before the days of shiny, brightly lit "Blockbuster" stores, I worked in one of those "mom and pop" video rental stores right next to the Winn-Dixie in a suburban shopping center (cliche, but I'm actually not kidding). It started out as a pretty good job for a 16-year-old, because I actually did know the mom and the pop that owned it, and the woman that worked the shift with me was the mom of a friend of mine.

Then.

It was bought by friendly but much too frugal guy from Pakistan. I bid farewell to the mom and the pop. Soon, the lady that shared my shift was gone too, and shifts were covered by one person at a time. Within a few weeks, the new owner asked me to work the evening shift alone, including closing up the store and the register. Yeah. 16 years old, 11pm, strip shopping center, bag of money and some keys.

When I got home and told my parents about this request, they looked at each other and said "you don't work there anymore."

Unknown said...

This is well-timed, too:

How to Keep Your Job In Perspective