Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Joiner

Many Cube Cities ago, I shared an office with Letty. I found Letty to be a typical Cube City office mate – somebody you didn’t feel remotely tempted to spend time with outside of the office.

Letty was one of those strange people who told you way too much about her personal life. She was really into hiding out in the woods, decked out with swords and Renaissance clothing. She was a computer gadget geek. She was a member of every professional technical writing organization and message board you could think of. She had an impressive wig collection, but that’s something she didn’t talk much about. She was only 32 and had just gone through major surgery for breast cancer.

Letty’s heart was always in the right place. However, those of us around her, who’d had our hearts ripped out by office politics, didn’t have much patience for her positive attitude. Letty was a joiner, and she was actively and relentlessly recruiting. If you weren’t passionate about the causes she was joining, something was wrong with you.

Letty did her part to spread the word about breast cancer. We were the same age, and she was convinced that every woman our age needed a breast cancer screening. Cancer had struck Letty, so it could strike anyone. I appreciated her doing her part to raise awareness, but that’s pretty much where my appreciation ended. I was sorry for Letty’s tough travels, but we were on very different paths, and I just didn’t want a joiner trying to fork us down the same road.

I might become a joiner when I retire from Cube City. Until then, I shall join the cause against joiners.

No comments: