Thursday, April 30, 2009

Office Assistant #81

We have a new office assistant in Cube City. I wasn't aware that we were going to replace the 80th assistant we've fired this year, or even that we were interviewing applicants or uncovering some funding for the position.

I haven't met the office assistant yet. I mean, I've seen her around. She was here for a whole day before somebody sent an email introducing her. Actually, that email is more than we usually get when a new person starts working here. We don't have a welcome wagon. We just throw you into the river and see if you can swim upstream by yourself without a life jacket or swim instructor.

I just don't understand why we can't be more friendly and sensitive to new cube dwellers in Cube City. They know nothing, they know nobody, and they have to figure out how to breathe to the left and to the right in deep waters. All we can do is hope that they don't drown. We have websites to save, so we can't be worrying about the people who support us and keep us organized. But I guess that's all water under the bridge.

No comments: