Friday, April 3, 2009

At Least We're Not Bitter

An old friend recently wrote to inform me that 12 people at our former Cube City had been laid off. He wrote, “Isn’t that sweet?” I must admit that I felt comforted by the dripping sarcasm in his message. We had both liked that Cube City in a former life. We had felt like it was going somewhere. We had helped build the business, and we were going to get our piece of the pie when it went public.

But as with most Cube Cities, things were going well and business was picking up…so naturally, we had a reorg to ensure that things would get totally fucked up for everyone.

The company leaders hired a CEO who had no idea what he was doing. My friend and I survived two rounds of layoffs and countless reorgs. A moron had destroyed our dream.

Reluctantly, my friend and I left the company. We’d had our hopes that things would change. It didn’t help that we were the first to realize that the ship was sinking. You have nagging doubts when you’re the first to leave and everybody thinks you’re crazy. You hope the company will fail so that you have no regrets about your decision. It’s not an easy place to be.

It has taken many years to see the hole in this ship get bigger. It’s pitiful to admit, but I’m glad to see it happening. The overpaid, underqualified CEO who fucked up our dream needs a little humbling, and he’s not going to get it on his own.

At least we’re not bitter.

1 comment:

Trixter said...

It's really painful to watch an overpaid idiot spout all sorts of platitudes as the people who actually do the work struggle to keep the company afloat. I had to make a similar choice years back and remember everyone calling me crazy for leaving. Bitterness can be bitter sweet sometimes. Remember that revenge is a dish best served cold. Sometimes it just takes a little while for the corningware to cool off.