Friday, June 13, 2008

My Piece of the Humble Pie

In Cube City, there are a lot of highs and lows. There are very few middles. This week, I had a few days of really huge highs. The ideas and words were flowing for my projects, the team dynamics were solid, I was feeling the love, and even the challenges I encountered felt like a piece of cake.

And then it happened.

The cake turned into humble pie.

It's amazing how quickly the course can change -- you start to doubt yourself, your work, and even the people who rode the highs with you five minutes ago. Lows are never fun, and they always seem to last a lot longer than the highs. I feel angered sometimes, like I'm not entitled to a few good days without a few bad weeks to follow. How dare I feel good at any time in my unsafe place!

But that's what Cube City is all about. You can have your cake and eat it too...but just know that you'll eventually feel so guilty about enjoying it that you'll be throwing it up.

Anybody want to see the dessert tray?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In a world where the inhabitants of Cube City eat way too much cake for any occasion...birthdays, baby showers, retirement, going away, congratulations, wedding showers, fridays...it's okay that humble pie is served now and then. Don't you worry, it won't be long before Cube City will be serving up cake again.