Monday, June 16, 2008

The Painful Birth of the Written Word

In my Cube City trade, I spend far more time thinking about an idea than I do writing about it. I start with a blank slate -- and an even blanker stare at the computer screen. It's scary. It's how procrastination is born.

I've never given birth to a child, but I've seen the movies. I've read and heard the stories. I just know that writing for a living must certainly be similar to giving birth over and over.
  • There's a lot of waiting.

  • The mucous plug detaches. Right on.

  • More waiting.

  • Finally your water breaks.

  • But no...there's more waiting.

  • Contractions begin -- you feel encouraged because you know you're onto something.

  • But no...there's more waiting.

  • Contractions continue. Damn them. They're such a tease.

  • You hate the person(s) responsible for putting you in this position. You curse the world.

  • Finally it's time.

  • You push. You push some more. You just keep pushing because it's time to get that idea out of your being.

  • Out it comes! You give birth. You're sweaty. You're exhausted. You've created a beautiful thing.

  • You'd do it all over again. You were born to do this.

1 comment:

shari's photoblog said...

Hagh! Great analogy!! I love it!