Friday, July 10, 2009

Ode to the Lost ID Badge

I lost my ID badge somewhere in Cube City yesterday. I retraced my steps and interviewed cube dwellers about whether or not they'd seen it. I went to the front desk to see about getting a new one, but it will take time. I must be punished for a suitable amount of time before I am rewarded with a new ID badge, I guess.

What bothers me more is that I have to pay $15 for a new ID badge...because, in Cube City, being human and losing something for the first time in the two years you've worked here is going to cost you.

For now, I have a temporary ID badge that works only during office hours. Since I come in early, long before office hours begin, this temporary badge doesn't help me. What's worse is that it's attached to a toy. The receptionist informed me that all temporary badges are attached to toys. So now I have this temporary ID badge that can't get me access to the building when I need it and is glued to a gigantic tub of Play-Doh.

It makes playing nice with the other children in Cube City that much harder.

No comments: