Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Stand By Your Brand

Yesterday, I took a stand in Cube City. I said I was unable to work on a brand that never ends because I had to move on. I had another big brand to tackle, and I needed to focus.

How silly of me to think that I would win the stand against a never-ending brand.

All day, team members kept saying, "I know you're concentrating on another brand today, but..."

And then they proceeded to bombard me with emails, questions, and requests about the never-ending brand against which I took a freakin' stand.

I don't know why I have no willpower. Whether I'm in Candyland or Brandyland, I cannot seem to take a stand. I'm a sucker for every little request that picks away at my time, concentration, and will to live. I just go ahead and do what's asked of me. I get behind on my other work. I become cranky. I work nights and weekends. I see my intelligence seeping away with every little thing I agree to do after saying I'm not going to do it.

I even watch other cube dwellers take a stand, and I try to learn from them. One cube dweller who's right here in the same Brandyland situation with me is particularly skilled at disappearing when he's swamped with other work. He just lets the email threads build and go unanswered until every team member's head is spinning and we all forget whatever the hell we were talking about.

I guess I'm just not like him, so I must be punished greatly. I can't stand it. I have to reply to emails. I have to answer questions. I have to comply with requests. I have to stand by my brand.

2 comments:

Trixter said...

This happens to me too. More than I like to admit. I think for me, it's more about doing favors for my team member -- at least the ones I care about. Or maybe that's just my rationalization about why I can't say no. :)

Scissor Girl said...

I like your rationalization!