Friday, July 24, 2009

Send Me an Angel

Yesterday, I had a surreal experience in Cube City. I was catching up with one of my direct reports in an all-glass conference room. Someone appeared at the door and waved at us. He seemed interested in crashing our meeting, yet he was very polite about it. We let him in, and he asked, "May I have a moment of your time?"

I wasn't sure which one of us he was speaking to, and it turned out that he wanted to speak to both of us. He turned to my direct report and repented about something that had been on his mind for quite some time. He said, "I want you to know that, about a year ago, I misjudged you...and I've felt bad about it ever since."

He proceeded with his apology in a very direct and refreshing manner. It takes a big man to admit he's wrong or clear the air long after the dust has settled. I was glad that he took the opportunity to face his demons and resurface as an angel. It was as close to a religious experience as I'd ever want to get in Cube City.

2 comments:

Michelle Medley said...

Say whaaaattttt Scissor Girl? I take this as a religious moment because it's so unusual. Are performance reviews up or something? How unusual that he did it in front of you - I'd say intentionally.

Hmmm. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

It's nice to know that some people in Cube City still have souls.