Monday, July 27, 2009

Take the Time

Why do people in Cube City give you so many details when they need to work from home or request time off? 

Maybe it's just me, but I think it's unnecessary to explain why you need some time away. I don't need to know that little Johnny is afraid of the dentist and needs two parents to hold him down. I don't need to know that your uncle's flight is late, or your water heater is making a strange ticking sound you've never heard before, or you need to get your iPhone fixed and can only do so during a scheduled appointment you've had to wait three days to get because Apple is the devil and the system is more broken than the phone. It's none of my business.

Maybe it makes some people feel better to explain themselves. Maybe it means that they are conscientious. I don't know, but I wish I could find a way to tell people that it's okay to take time away without detailed explanation. There's a reason it's called personal time. 

No comments: