Thursday, July 23, 2009

Out to Lunch

A rare thing happened in my Cube City world yesterday: I actually had the time to meet my significant stapler for lunch. We went to one of our favorite places near my cubicle and, due to uncharacteristically gorgeous weather, were able to sit outside on the "patio" (which was really the sidewalk due to the lack of real estate at this quaint eating establishment).

While sitting there, we had Small Town Syndrome: We saw someone we know. You see, my significant stapler used to work in my Cube City until layoffs eliminated the need for a stapler. The person we saw no longer works at my Cube City either, due to her position being similarly eliminated. Said person and my significant stapler briefly caught up on each other's new careers on the sidewalk, and then said person went inside for lunch.

The memories of layoffs are icky, and seeing people you know can really bring those memories back in a flash. I wonder if the person we ran into felt the same icky way, or if I'm just out to lunch in my thinking.

2 comments:

Michelle Medley said...

I think it depends if you "walked Spanish" off the ship willingly or were pushed onto the plank.

For me, I'm over it. Totally over the ick.

So can we have lunch sometime?

Scissor Girl said...

Yes, lunch soon, please!