Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Bermuda Triangle

The brand planning madness continues in Cube City, and it's making m'head spin.

A very intelligent cube dweller put a few slides together to demonstrate the strategic nature of our tactics and then presented them to a small number of people on the internal brand team.

A few of us met without the very intelligent cube dweller to discuss her slides, particularly a framework that shows how we can integrate the planning of our tactics through a triangle effect. We sat there and struggled through the tactics, trying to decide how to map them into triangles. Were the triangles confusing and unnecessary, or were we just stupid?

We concluded both, so we asked our very intelligent cube dweller to come into the room to play a triangle game with us. We ran through the tactics, and she was able to map everything to triangles and explain it all in a way that made sense. I can't really explain it to you on my own, but it sounded good when she was talking about it.

I'm not really one to think in terms of triangles, or even strategic frameworks, and I found myself briefly depressed to be in a situation where I was mapping ideas into triangles. I felt sort of lost, like I was in the Bermuda Triangle. Reaching common ground is good, but it's even better to find your way home to what you know.

1 comment:

Trixter said...

Mapping tactics to strategic frameworks -- triangular or other -- is my idea of one of Dante's circles of hell. And this is coming from someone whose job this is supposed to be. I think I'll go to confession now. It's bad enough to do this while I'm alive. I don't want to spend the afterlife building strategic frameworks.