Thursday, October 8, 2009

Desperately Seeking Acceptance

I work with two people in Cube City who were hired at about the same time in the same discipline. There's something else they have in common: Both of them mark all of their calendar invitations as "tentative." They don't offer explanations either. They just mark everything with a noncommittal "tentative."

I hate that.

I think this is how they were trained, so they're not going to change. But I find an unexplained "tentative" RSVP very hard to accept. I realize that an invitation to a project meeting is not near as exciting as an invitation to a vodka party, but there are times when I need to know if you're going to show up or not.

I want to invite these two cube dwellers to rethink their training. But since it's really not my place to tell them how to think, I'm tentative in my invitation. I'll just have to accept that this is how things are, but I don't have to like it. I should probably start bringing vodka to my meetings.

2 comments:

Michelle Medley said...

Make it codka and I bet they come!

Trixter said...

I have one team member who does this consistently too and it drives me crazy -- particularly because he is a key decision maker and if he's not going to attend, there's no point in even having the meeting.