Monday, October 12, 2009

Making Conversation

When I go to lunch with the quiet Cube City copywriters, I need to start taking notes. This is an eccentric group, and I find the variety of conversation topics to be very entertaining. At one of our recent lunches, here are a few topics we covered:
  • Shoe repair for high-heeled boots
  • Chicken fried steak (note: I think we talk about this glorious dish every time we meet)
  • The tragedy of failed white fluffy frosting from the Joy of Cooking
  • Halloween costumes, including the many variations of Michael Jackson we'll inevitably see this year
  • Small-town motels
  • The discipline required to wait until your birthday to open gifts you've received in the mail
  • Whataburger taquitos (hey, we were hungry)
  • Marathon training and when/if beer is a good hydration option
  • The learning curve of a French press, or the tweaking required to make coffee that doesn't look like mud
  • Origami
  • The "overstyled" look of the latest Acura TL

I find it amazing that we cover so many topics since you can feel the tension and effort required to make conversation within this group. It's a victory to reflect on these times and see what happens when we open our mouths and form sentences. Go, team!

2 comments:

Michelle Medley said...

Stop cooking out of the Joy of Cooking. That book has led me astray more times than I can count. There are too many better experts out there, online and in books.

Gee, now I am craving white fluffy frosting.

Trixter said...

Wow. I would love to see an MRI of everyone's brains while these lunches are going on. We don't get topics anywhere near that random at my team's infrequent lunches.