Monday, July 21, 2008

Monday Mourning

I cried all the way to Cube City this morning -- not just because it's Timesheet Monday and my personal inbox is filled with the weekly countdown to the weekend, but also because it's been over 9 months since I lost my Belgian Tervuren and I still mourn the loss of her like it was yesterday.

It's times like these that help me remember the important things in life -- Cube City and its demands not being one of them. I found out this morning that the litter of Belgian Tervuren pups I've been anxiously awaiting arrived last night. Five boys and three girls. It's unclear if I will get one of the girls, and I don't want a boy. But I'm surprised at how mixed my emotions remain about the possibility of starting over with a new puppy. You can't replace your best friend, and yet sometimes you need a catalyst to get you to start a new chapter in your life.

I know that change is the game of life. Even in Cube City, you can be in the same job your whole career and have to deal with countless changes...or you can hop from one job to the next and get change on a bigger and more constant scale. But change is hard, no matter how you experience it. I'm not ready for another puppy, but I am ready to move on.

2 comments:

Michelle Medley said...

Your post really touched me today, Scissor Girl. I don't know whether to cheer the arrival of the pups (congrats!) or reflect on the uphill climb of starting over.

The chewing. The whining. The wetting. The doe-eyed heartbreaking glances. I see where you sense the challenge. And yet, and yet, new beginnings are just that. They're new. They're unknown. They have the ability to surprise and delight when we least expect it.

I've found in this La Vida Loca we're all sharing that there is one thing I can count on: The experiences I've dreaded the most have often been just the opposite - simply because I couldn't see what was ahead. I had blinders on.
I don't know about you, but I don't want to go through life like some racehorse that needs a hood to get onto the track. Let me on there with my eyes open, and I'll find out what's at the finish line.

I'll wish for you today that whatever is currently hidden becomes revealed in the most surprising and spectacular manner.

Whatever happens, let's toast the pups.

Princess Pupule said...

I didn't realize it had been 9 months...so sorry you're missing your friend, but I'm hopeful there will be a four-legged someone so amazing right around the corner, you'll wonder how you ever did without her. And you'll know Legan approves.

When will you know for sure whether you get one of the girls?