Thursday, July 10, 2008

Working the System

The more I think and blog about it, the more I am certain that Cube City is synonymous with prison.

Here's where I'm at. I'm trying to learn how and when to push back when the workload demands are beyond insane. What irks me is that people don't seem to stand together in Cube City. There are a few alliances here and there. But if we all broke out of our cubicles, stood together, and said, "These deadlines are beyond insane and I will not take this anymore," we'd have the control over our warden. We'd be making the rules rather than following them. But no.

Why? Because everybody in Cube City has different goals, just like prisoners:

  • Some cubies feel like they're being watched and want to make sure they don't get into more trouble.
  • Others are fearful about what will happen if they are released from their cubes before they are ready.
  • Then there are the cubies who have learned how to work the system and are keeping it a secret. They know they've got it good, and they want to keep it that way.

Think of the liberation we could have if we stood together against insanity. After all, employers wouldn't be able to grow big businesses if they didn't have employees doing the work. Sometimes it is easy to forget that we do have power in Cube City. We just have to find a way to outwit the warden.

Who's ready to rebel against solitary confinement?

1 comment:

Trixter said...

I am! Solidarity among Cubies!

Seriously, I think the people who are working the system are just too comfortable -- I know of several people in my Cubetropolis who bill tons of hours, but who mysteriously vanish after 5:00 and are never seen before 9:30. Oh, I know, they're "in another building" or "working from home" or some other euphemism. You'll never get them to stand with you, because they're not overworked. But they can't admit that, or you might share with them. :)

It's times like these when you wish you had a union to help fight the prison warden. Or Michael Scofield. I'm sure he has a tattoo that would help with this.