Friday, July 25, 2008

Crankin'. Tossin'. Packin'. Shippin'.

There are times when I mistake my job in Cube City for a factory. Not that I've ever worked in a real factory, but I've heard stories from high school friends who worked at a nearby cotton candy factory. I also studied Roseanne in her many years of working at a factory.

I produce an insanely high volume of work each day. It's like I'm working on a quota system, and the quota keeps going up for as long as I can keep up. I'm a firm believer in quality over quantity, but that decision is not up to me in the Cube City factory. I assemble things as quickly as possible, cranking them out of my brain and tossing them onto the conveyor belt for inspection (assuming the inspector shows up for a hard day's work). Then I pack them up and ship them out to the client. I crank, toss, pack, and ship all day long. If I make it out of Cube City without getting an arm or leg chopped off, I consider it a successful work day.

I know we are doing more with less in Cube City these days, but I don't have to like it. So I'll think about working in a cotton candy factory. It sounds like a sweeter deal.

No comments: