Thursday, July 17, 2008

More Cube Q&A

Q: Why peer reviews?
A: Peer reviews give spineless fother muckers an opportunity to let you know what they don't like about you -- except that your peer isn't identified and nothing specific about your offense is allowed in your review to ensure that your peer isn't identified. This peer review process allows for pure ineffectiveness in Cube City, as you don't know who doesn't like you or what you're doing that bugs them. Therefore, you cannot improve whatever you're doing to offend a peer, and your peer can never see the end of the problem. Basically, your peer then gets what s/he deserves for being a spineless fother mucker and you get the shaft.

Next question?

2 comments:

Michelle Medley said...

How right and true this message feels. I remember getting dinged at my own last review - my direct reports were upset that I didn't tell them about impending layoffs or who was affected.

Trouble was, I was caught by surprise like everyone else - and I had no idea who was affected. When the cuts went down, I visited each direct report and told them I had no information at that time.

They didn't believe me. They thought I was in on it. Like I had the sword of Damocles in my own hand. What can you do?

I have to write peer reviews, and I loathe it - because frankly, it feels wrong to sit in judgment of someone else when you have no idea what's going on in their personal space. Sure, you can try to get to know them, but how much are they willing to tell you, how much am I willing to share about my life in Cube City? Not much. And that's what these reviews are worth.

Not much.

Anonymous said...

A while back, we had to do a peer review for my boss. Anybody with a brain knows that when it's your boss, you're supposed to send comments that are positive. One of my co-workers called our boss and asked if his comments would be anonymous, because he had some very personal things that he would like to say. What an idiot! That guy did not get a raise or a bonus for the next two years. It pays to kiss b*tt in cube city.